In this lesson I will show you how to say “I have to” – as in “I have to work today” – in Portuguese. It is very easy. At the end of this lesson you will find practice exercises.
- To learn how to use the verb Precisar (to need), watch this other lesson.
To express that you have to do something, use one of the following structures:
- Verb Ter in the appropriate conjugation + que + action verb in the infinitive
- Verb Ter in the appropriate conjugation + de + action verb in the infinitive
There is no difference between saying “ter que” or “ter de”. It is a matter of habit.
That is easy, right? Let’s see a few examples:
- Eu tenho que trabalhar hoje.
= I have to work today.
- Mariana tem que chegar cedo ao trabalho amanhã.
= Mariana has to get to work early tomorrow.
- Ticiana e Mauro têm de terminar esse projeto até sexta-feira.
= Ticiana and Mauro have to finish this project by Friday.
- Ontem eu tive que comprar uma impressora nova.
= Yesterday I had to by a new printer.
- Você tem que me dizer o que esta acontecendo.
= You have to tell me what’s going on.
Not confident using the verb Ter? Watch this lesson to learn the present tense of the verb Ter. The lesson has several pronunciation tips to get your Portuguese sharp.
Ana is getting ready to go to Brazil to visit her family and friends. Her to do list is below. Translate her list from English to Portuguese. The answers are below.
1. I have to get a haircut.
2. I have to leave everything organized at work.
3. I have to buy gifts for family and friends.
4. My mom has to let me know who is going to pick me up at the airport.
5. My brother has to tell me his shoe size so I can get the running shoes he wants.
6. My nieces have to choose what they want as Christmas gifts.
7. Peter and I have to get our tickets right away.
8. I have to let my friends know that I will be in Brazil for Christmas!
Translation from Portuguese to English:
1. Eu tenho que cortar o cabelo.
2. Eu tenho que deixar tudo organizado no trabalho.
3. Tenho que comprar presentes para a família e os amigos.
4. Minha mãe tem que me dizer quem vai me pegar no aeroporto.
5. Meu irmão tem que me dizer o tamanho do sapato dele para que eu possa comprar o tênis de correr que ele quer.
6. Minhas sobrinhas têm que escolher o que elas querem de presente de Natal.
7. Peter e eu temos que comprar nossas passagens imediatamente.
8. Eu tenho que avisar aos meus amigos que vou estar no Brasil no Natal.
Book a Portuguese trial lesson with us.
Street Smart Brazil offers one-on-one and group classes online via video meetings. We have a fantastic team of tutors, exclusive class materials, and complete programs from absolute beginner to fluent. See what our customers are saying.