E aí is one of the most popular informal greetings in Brazil these days. It simply means hello or hi.
Its main uses are as follows:
1.To answer the phone when you see that a friend is on the other side. Example:
Paula sees that her friend Márcia is calling. She can answer the phone by saying:
- E aí, Márcia? Tudo bem com você?
Or she can simply say:
- E aí?
2. To greet a friend when you two meet. Example:
Ronaldo is walking down street and runs into his friend José. The first one to greet the other will say:
- E aí, tudo certo?
3. To ask how an event went. Example:
Fernanda calls Roberto to ask how his interview (party, concert, trip, you name it) went:
- Oi, Roberto. E aí, como foi a entrevista?
The use of E aí is:
- Not recommended for professional contacts
- Not recommend for written communications (except informal e-mails)
- Totally recommended for every day, informal use with friends
E aí, are you ready to start speaking real Brazilian Portuguese? Visit StreetSmartBrazil.com
Street Smart Brazil offers one-on-one and group classes online via webcam. We have a fantastic team of tutors, exclusive class materials, and complete programs from absolute beginner to fluent. See what our customers are saying.