I am often asked: What is the meaning of tudo bem in Portuguese? What does it really mean?
It is no surprise that this is a popular question. Your Brazilian friends likely greet you with “tudo bem?” on a daily basis. Let’s see what exactly tudo bem means and how you can answer the “tudo bem?” question.
In this lesson you will learn:
1. Powerful pronunciation tips that will apply to all your Portuguese language journey
2. What exactly tudo bem means. My goal is to help you interact with confidence with your Brazilian friends and colleagues
3. How to answer the “tudo bem?” question in a Brazilian way
So, what does Tudo Bem mean in Portuguese?
Tudo = everything, all
I talk about tudo in my lesson Roberto Carlos: Learn Brazilian Portuguese with Songs. Make sure you check it out.
Bem = well
It is an adverb.
Therefore, the literal translation is:
- Tudo bem? = Everything well?
This is one of the most common ways to greet people in Brazil. You simply ask: Tudo bem? It is our equivalent to “How are you?” and works both in person and over the phone, with friends and coworkers.
How about Tudo bom?
You will also hear the variation: Tudo bom?
Bom = good; it’s an adjective.
The literal translation is:
- Tudo bom? = Everything good?
You can use bem and bom interchangeably in this specific greeting, but keep in mind that they are not the same thing and will not be used interchangeably in other situations. Bem = well. Bom = good.
How to reply to Tudo bem in Brazil?
The most common way to answer is to simply say: Tudo.
You can also say: Tudo bem.
Here are other ways to answer:
- Tudo certo: Literally, it means: everything right.
- Tudo ótimo: All is great.
- Tudo indo: Literally: all is going. It means so so, not so good.
- Mais ou menos: more or less, so so
And you can be nice and ask back: E você? = And you?
The other super popular Brazilian greeting
This one will make your Portuguese sound super cool. You will sound like a Brazilian. Visit my Portuguese lesson about “E aí?“
When Bem means Muito
Sometimes the word Bem is used to emphasize a quality. Here’s a lesson on the topic.
Serious about speaking Portuguese?
There’s only so much that software and free videos can do for you. Take the next step: Book a Trial Lesson with Street Smart Brazil to see the difference it makes to learn with trained professionals. We have been helping learners around the globe speak Portuguese with ease since 2008.