I wish I had kept pictures of our first website, back in 2008. It was a simple website and I loved it so much.
It was a big deal for me to decide to stop teaching elsewhere and start my own Portuguese language school. I owe the inspiration to do so to my client Blake who kept telling me time and time again that I needed to have my own teaching practice.
And then, in the middle of a class, another client, Brian, who was learning via Skype from Brazil (back then not many people were teaching Portuguese via Skype), told me: “I wish I had done this before. I finally feel I am learning what I need to learn in order to live here.”
When we finished our lesson something just clicked in my brain. I turned to my husband Carl and said: “That’s it! I am in business and I am Street Smart Brazil.” And his response could not be more encouraging: “Great! I will build you a website.” And that is how Street Smart Brazil was born.
Now five years later we are on our second website, also built by Carl. He also created our logo which I am very fond of.
But as we learn and grow, we change. And now it is time for a new website and a new logo. How exciting!
Through the years, we built a wonderful multicultural community that is engaged in speaking Portuguese and learning about Brazil. It is this deep sense of community that inspired our new logo. After all, why do we venture into learning a new language? Because we want to communicate and interact. Whether for personal or professional reasons, we learn a new language to open the doors to a new culture, new ideas, and new friends. We want to actively exchange ideas, share, teach, and learn.
It wasn’t easy to choose the new logo. At the end of the process we asked some of our clients to choose between two designs. The race was tight, but the idea of communication and belonging to a community prevailed.
I am happy to present you our new logo:
Some of the comments that helped us make this choice:
- “It reflects different kinds of people which is what language is all about, bridging people.” – Robyn
- “[Street Smart Brazil] produces a new wave of proficient and productive Portuguese speakers as well as making connections or aiding in networking.” – Kimberly
- “It represents the persons and what I like the most about the school is the individual approach to every student.” – Urszula
- Gosto dos símbolos de pessoas…diferentes cores representam a diversidade das raças e culturas no Brasil, então será mais representante das ruas do Brasil… então, StreetSmartBrazil.” – Auby
- “Street Smart Brazil principalmente é sobre o diálogo entre pessoas.” – Bill
The great folks at Web Savvy Marketing designed our logo and are working on our new website, which is coming soon. I am truly excited about this new stage of our language adventure together.
Muito obrigada to all of you who have been a part of Street Smart Brazil in so many different ways!
Schedule your Portuguese Trial Lesson.
Street Smart Brazil offers one-on-one and group classes online via webcam. We have a fantastic team of tutors, exclusive class materials, and complete programs from absolute beginner to fluent. See what our customers are saying.
Leave a Reply