Here is shopping vocabulary in Portuguese to help you whether you are shopping online or in person. I hope this will help you shop with confidence whether you are shopping in Brazil or at a Brazilian store anywhere in the world.
Watch the video to learn the pronunciation.
1. comprar = to buy, to purchase, to shop
Comprar is a regular verb ending in AR. To understand verb conjugation in general and learn verb conjugation of regular verbs ending in AR, visit this lesson.
2. fazer compras = to shop
Fazer is an irregular verb. It is easy to use in the future tense with the verb IR. But to use it in other tenses you have to study its conjugation.
3. fazer supermercado = to grocery shop
4. comprar online/comprar pela internet = to shop online
5. pedir online = to order online
6. o pedido = the order
7. pedir/fazer o pedido (no restaurante) = to order (at the restaurant)
8. comprar em pessoa/comprar pessoalmente = to shop in person
9. o carrinho de compras = the shopping cart
10. a cesta de compras/a cestinha = the shopping basket
11. empurrar o carrinho = to push the cart
12. carregar/levar a cesta = to carry the basket
13. Deixa que eu levo a cesta. = Leave it to me to carry the basket.
14. colocar algo no carrinho / na cesta = to put something in the cart / in the basket
15. adicionar ao carrinho = To add to the cart (online shopping)
16. o prazo para entrega = delivery time
17. a data da entrega = delivery date
18. o valor/preço do frete =the shipping cost
19. a caixa registradora = the cash register
20. o caixa/a caixa = the cashier
21. a fila = the line
22. a fila está grande/longa/enorme = the line is big/long/huge
23. Vamos para o caixa = Let’s go to the cashier. Let’s go pay.
24. Vou entrar na fila. = I will get in line.
25. Estou na fila. = I’m in line.
26. furar a fila = to cut in line
27. Não fure a file. = Don’t cut in line.
28. fechar o pedido = to checkout
29. pagar em dinheiro = pay with cash
30. dinheiro trocado = change as in money in small denominations that you carry with you
31. o troco = change as in money returned when a payment exceeds the amount due
32. pagar com cartão = pay with a card
33. débito ou crédito? = debit or credit?
34. Vai parcelar? = Are you going to pay in installments? (I explain this and more in the video)
35. Pode parcelar em até 12 vezes. = You can pay in up to 12 installments.
36. É para presente = It’s a gift
37. embrulhar/embalar para presente = to giftwrap
38. Pode embrulhar/embalar para presente? = Can you giftwrap?
39. trocar = to exchange
40. a política de trocas = exchange policy
41. devolver = to return
42. a política de devolução = return policy
43. o prazo para troca e devolução = exchange and return deadline
44. o reembolso = refund
It’s important to learn new vocabulary and useful sentences, but that’s not enough to speak Portuguese with ease when interacting with people in real life. For that, you have Street Smart Brazil to help you.
Street Smart Brazil specializes in Brazilian Portuguese lessons via video meetings. We have been teaching Portuguese online since 2008. We have unmatched experience helping learners around the globe speak Portuguese with ease.
Book a trial lesson with us to see how we can help you speak Portuguese with ease.