Teaching Portuguese and sharing my culture is a magical process of falling in love again and again with everything Brazilian. – Luciana Lage
With over 10 years of experience teaching Portuguese, Luciana’s teaching approach focuses on original content and class customization blended with cultural education.
She feels at her best when clients and readers of her blog say that they finally understood a certain topic. Teaching in a simple, practical way is one of Luciana’s strengths.
Luciana has taught Portuguese at University of California, Berkeley, and at the University of San Francisco.
She is positive that learning Portuguese will benefit clients far beyond simple everyday communication and will help them develop more meaningful relationships with the Brazilian people and culture, in both social and business settings.
Luciana’s clients come from all walks of life and different cultural backgrounds, including the U.S., Japan, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, and Vietnam. When teaching, she can identify — and overcome — the challenges faced by learners of varying nationalities.
Her passion for learning and sharing knowledge also led Luciana to teach business to undergraduate students in Brazil. Her business experience is perfectly integrated into Portuguese classes, as more and more clients decide to learn Portuguese motivated by professional goals.
When Luciana is not teaching or working on the business, she enjoys a variety of activities. She loves to learn and is passionate about online education. This means you can always hear Luciana talking about a webinar that she has just taken. Long walks in nature are one of her favorite things to do on a sunny weekend. She loves reading and is a big fan of movies. A glass of wine together with great conversations with loved ones always makes Luciana happy.
- MBA, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA
- Certificate, Life and Core Strengths Coaching, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA
- BS, Business, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Brazil
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, ACTFL
- American Organization of Teachers of Portuguese, AOTP
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese, AATSP
- Modern Language Association of America, MLA
- ASCD (formerly the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development)
Recent Training and Certifications
- Virtual Teacher Specialization, University of California, Irvine, CA
- Translation and Localization, Monterey Institute of International Studies, CA
- E-learning and Digital Cultures, Coursera
- Abordagem Cultural: Produção de materiais em línguas estrangeiras, Vila Brasil
- Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects, UC San Diego/Coursera
- Mindshift: Break through obstacles to learning and discover your hidden potential, McMaster University/Coursera
Causes Luciana Supports
- Purebreds Plus cat rescue, regular donor
- South Paws pet rescue, regular donor
- Paws of War, regular donor
- Doctors without Borders, regular donor
- Children International, regular donor
- Maine Coon Adoptions cat rescue, recipient of Luciana’s Amazon Smile donations
- San Francisco SPCA, eventual donor
Book a Trial Lesson with Street Smart Brazil today.