Here is a great colloquial expression that we Brazilians use quite often. I am certain that you will find this expression in novelas, songs, and articles.
- Tirar do sério = to make someone mad, to piss someone off, to make one lose his/her patience
Let’s see a few examples of the expression in use with practical vocabulary for you.
1. Esse trânsito me tira do sério!
= This traffic drives me crazy!
2. Meu carro quebrou de novo. Sinceramente, isso me tira do sério!
= My car broke down again. Honestly, this pisses me off!
3. Estou esperando há mais de uma hora. Vocês me tiram do sério!
= I’ve been waiting for over one hour. You guys make me so mad!
4. Calma, Ana, você tá muito aborrecida. Aquele cara te tirou totalmente do sério.
= Cool down, Ana, you’re very upset. That guy totally drove you crazy.
How about yourself? O que tira você do sério? = What makes you mad? What pisses you off? What irritates you?
Street Smart Brazil offers one-on-one and group classes online via webcam. We have a fantastic team of tutors, exclusive class materials, and complete programs from absolute beginner to fluent. See what our customers are saying.