The verbs Pedir and Perguntar cause a lot of trouble to learners of Portuguese. I hope to put an end to your questions today 🙂 And at the end of the lesson I will give you a very useful tip about the verb “Perguntar”.
1. Pedir = to ask (someone for something)
- Paulo pediu uma carona para o trabalho porque o carro dele está quebrado.
= Paulo asked for a ride to work because his car is broken down.
- Ana me pediu para pegá-la no aeroporto.
= Ana asked me to pick her up at the airport.
- Joana sempre pede que eu chegue em casa cedo nas sextas-feiras.
= Joana always asks me to get home early on Fridays.
2. Perguntar = to ask (something or a question)
- Milena perguntou se ela pode pegar meu carro emprestado.
= Milenas asked if she can borrow my car.
= Manoel asked if he can leave his luggage here all day.
- Eu perguntei ao professor quando temos que entregar as tarefas de casa.
= I asked the teacher when we have to turn in the homework.
3. A Useful Tip
- In English you say: “May I ask a question?”
- I Portuguese, we say: “Posso fazer uma pergunta?”
Remember: In Portuguese we don’t ask (perguntar) a question; we make (fazer) a question.
Did this lesson help you? Participate in the conversation and let us know!