Here we are on the 6th day of Rio 2016 Olympic Games. How exciting! It inspired me to create this Portuguese lesson with 39 Olympic sports in Portuguese.
I have to confess that I am not really a sports person. But the Olympic Games are different. It is so inspiring to see so much talent and such amazing skills. The athlete’s losses and victories come with amazing stories of determination, perseverance, and dedication. I find it very inspiring. Not to mention so many nations together in one event.
I will also teach you how to say Olympics and Olympic Games. There is a pronunciation mistake that I hear very often. I want you to be able to say it beautifully and correctly 🙂 I’ve made a video to show you the pronunciation of all the words in this Portuguese lesson.
39 Olympic Sports in Portuguese
First things first: In Portuguese, sport is: Esporte.
Now, how do you say the Olympics in Portuguese?
You can say: As Olimpíadas.
The stressed syllable is the PÍ. I very often hear the emphasis placed on the “a”, that come after it which makes the word sound incorrect to us Brazilians.
You can also say: Os Jogos Olímpicos.
Now let’s see the Olympic sports in Portuguese. Below I have the sports in alphabetical order in English, followed by their translation in Portuguese:
- Archery = Tiro com Arco or Arco e Flecha
- Badminton = Badminton
- Basketball = Basquetebol or simply Basquete
- Beach volleyball = Vôlei de praia
- Boxing = Boxe
- Canoe slalom = Canoagem slalom
- Canoe sprint = Canoagem de velocidade
- Cycling – MBX = Ciclismo BMX
- Cycling – Mountain Bike = Ciclismo Mountain Bike
- Cycling – Road = Ciclismo de Estrada
- Cycling – Track = Ciclismo de Pista
- Diving = Salto Ornamental
- Equestrian = Hipismo
- Fencing = Esgrima
- Field hockey = Hóquei sobre a grama
- Golf = Golfe
- Gymnastics = Ginástica artística or Ginástica Olímpica
- Handball = Handebol
- Judo = Judô
- Marathon swimming = Maratonas aquáticas
- Modern pentathlon = Pentatlo moderno
- Rhythmic gymnastics = Ginástica rítmica
- Rowing = Remo
- Rugby Sevens = Rugby de 7
- Sailing = Vela
- Shooting = Tiro esportivo
- Soccer = Futebol
- Swimming = Natação
- Synchronized swimming = Nado sincronizado
- Table tennis = Tênis de mesa
- Taekwondo = Taekwondo
- Tennis = Tênis
- Track & Field = Atletismo
- Trampoline = Ginástica de trampolim
- Triathlon = Triatlo
- Volleyball = Voleibol or simply Vôlei
- Water polo = Polo aquático
- Weightlifting = Levantamento de peso
- Wrestling = Luta Olímpica
I hope this vocabulary list is useful to you. Did I miss any sport that you would like to learn how to say in Portuguese?