It is almost dinner time and I was here thinking about a cool post for tomorrow. Then my stomach talked to me and inspired me to write this short lesson.
You will learn 5 different ways to say that you are hungry or starving, including a very nice colloquial expression that will make you sound very Brazilian.
You can say:
- Estou com fome. = I am hungry.
- Estou faminta/o. = I am starving.
- Estou esfomiada/o. = I am starving.
- Estou morrendo de fome. = I am starving.
Literally number 4 translates as: I am dying of hunger
Verde de fome
And here is the cool colloquial expression that came to my mind when my stomach growled:
- Estou verde de fome. = I am starving.
Literally it translates as: I am green of hunger.
Remember to Conjugate the Verb Estar
To use any of the expressions above to address other people, simply conjugate the verb Estar. For example:
- Vocês estão com fome? = Are you guys hungry?
Colloquial expressions allow you to express yourself clearly and say exactly what you want to say in a natural way.