Learn how to say your profession in Portuguese, so you can engage in conversations with new Brazilian friends. These flashcards have 42 professions in Portuguese.
O que você faz? This is a common question you will hear in Brazil when people want to learn what you do for a living.
2 things to keep in mind when saying what you do in Portuguese
Here are 2 things to keep in mind when saying what you do in Portuguese:
- We use the verb Ser (not estar) to say what our profession is.
- We do not use an article in front of the profession as we do in English when we say what we do. Notice in the examples below that I do not say “eu sou uma professora”.
Here are examples to help you learn how to talk about professions in Portuguese:
- O que você faz? = What do you do?
- Eu sou professora. E você? = I am a teacher. And you?
- Eu sou jogadora de futebol. = I am a soccer player.
- Eu sou diretor de marketing. = I am director of marketing.
- Márcia é empreendedora. = Márcia is an entrepreneur.
- Você é médico? = Are you a physician?
- Nós somos comissários de bordo. = We are flight attendants.
- Carlos e Henrique são atores. = Carlos and Henrique are actors.
- Vocês são estudantes. = You are students.
Here is when you need to use the article in front of professions in Portuguese
As I said before, we do not use the articles “um” or “uma” before our profession when we are saying what we do for a living.
However, you need the indefinite article (um, uma) when you are expressing a fact or qualifying someone’s professional ability.
- Ângela é uma ótima dentista. = Ângela is a great dentist.
- José é um péssimo gerente. = José is a terrible manager.
- Gilberto Gil é um cantor muito famoso. = Gilberto Gil is a very famous actor.
To learn more professions vocabulary, check out my set of flashcards with sound below. You can listen and practice the pronunciation of each word. We would like to thank Quizlet developers for working hard to make this happen.
Tip to use these flashcards – 42 professions in Portuguese
To see the English word on one side and the Portuguese translation on the other, disable (uncheck) “Both Sides” on the top right of the cards. To listen to the pronunciation, click on the speaker icon on the top left of the cards to enable sound. Click to flip the card.
You can play games online with our flashcards. Visit Street Smart Brazil on Quizlet and choose any of our flashcard sets. Then choose a game under Play Games below the first flashcard. Divirta-se!