The fact that you are browsing around on Street Smart Brazil indicates that you are interested in learning Brazilian Portuguese, and possibly thinking about moving permanently or temporarily to Brazil.
Moving to another country is a huge step and finding a good source of information about all the practical and administrative aspects of such an endeavour is like finding a gold mine (I know, because I have been there and done that).
You will end up asking yourself questions such as:
- How to get a permanent residence?
- How to get married (or divorced)?
- What to do in case of a birth or death?
- How to buy a car and get a local driver’s license?
- How to rent or buy a house or apartment?
- How to open a bank account?
- What about local taxes?
- Where to find a good school for my kids?
- How to get your electricity, water and internet hooked up?
- How to get a job or set up a business?
- What to do in case of an emergency?
- What about local healthcare?
- Where to find a good lawyer, accountant, real estate agent, translator…
- How to… (I can go on for a while here but you get the idea, right?)
There are tons of websites out there with expat information, but the problem is that most of these sites have very little, or outdated information. Some of them rely on their members/users to provide information to each other on forums, based on personal experience rather than the law and, frankly, if we’re talking about Brazil this is definitely not the fastest or most reliable way to get information.
What you need is a comprehensive, relevant, reliable and LOCAL information source, and that is where AngloINFO comes in.
AngloINFO is the world’s largest network of websites for English-speakers living abroad. It operates in many regions within countries around the world providing vital support and information to the local international communities. Its local websites provide detailed day-to-day support to people living in a particular region while its national websites are specifically geared to addressing the needs of those who are in the process of moving, or looking to move.
In Brazil, AngloINFO currently has two local sites (São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro). You will find the answers to all the questions listed earlier and much more.
Every local AngloINFO website contains:
- Hundreds of Information pages about all aspects of expat life in that particular region.
- A business directory with thousands of LOCAL English speaking businesses.
- A “What’s On Guide” with local museums, music, social and sports events.
- A Classifieds section.
- A Discussions Forum for the local expats to talk about specific issues.
- Local Blogs
Doing your research BEFORE moving from one country to another will make your life a lot easier and AngloINFO is there to help you every step of the way. Learning Portuguese is a great first step and you came to the right place to do that.
About the Author:
Raf Kiss is a Belgian expat in Brazil since January 2009. He is a licensed tour guide, specialized in hiking and trekking, motorcycle and outdoors enthusiast, musician and about 95% vegan. He has a blog about his road trips in Brazil and since November 2012 also running the local AngloINFO Rio de Janeiro website.
Street Smart Brazil offers one-on-one and group classes online via webcam. We have a fantastic team of tutors, exclusive class materials, and complete programs from absolute beginner to fluent. See what our customers are saying.