Welcome! We are glad that you will test-drive our Portuguese lessons via webcam. We are confident that you will enjoy learning Portuguese with Street Smart Brazil.
This 30-minute trial session is conveniently offered via Skype. This is not your typical eLearning course in which you learn on your own. Our webcam lessons are face to face. You will be completely engaged with your instructor.
We offer complete programs from absolute beginner to completely fluent, whether you are learning Portuguese for personal or professional reasons.
We customize our program to match your proficiency level and attend to your goals.
Our instructors are well prepared to help you learn Portuguese effectively. They are experts in the language, culture, and lifestyle of Brazil.
Our instructors are:
- Native speakers of Brazilian Portuguese
- Fluent in English and other languages
- Trained professionals who have work experience in Brazil and abroad
The Most Effective Way to Learn Portuguese
- With one-on-one lessons you can move at your pace. If you want to move fast, you can. If you prefer to take it easy, that is fine too.
- With one-on-one lessons you do not share your learning time with anyone. During class you are actively learning 100% of the time.
- Our experienced instructors can tailor the lessons to your needs and goals. They help you practice the language as you will find it in real life. They can fine-tune your speaking and help you tune in your ears.
Flexibility and Convenience
We understand that you have a busy lifestyle. And that is why we offer you convenience and flexibility.
Lessons via Skype:
- Our lessons via Skype are very effective and convenient. You can learn from anywhere. All you need is Skype and internet connection.
- They fit well in the busiest of schedules because you can learn from your home or office, and even during trips.
- With shared audio and video, it works like a face to face meeting. You will be totally engaged with your instructor.
- You can easily book your lessons online.
- We offer classes virtually any day and any time because we have instructors in different time zones.
- You can book your lessons with any of our instructors. We share class reports to ensure continuity between lessons even if you are booking with different teachers.
Exclusive Class Materials
We are very proud of our original content class materials. We create them with text, audio, and videos from the media. This way you learn relevant vocabulary that is up to date and become comfortable discussing current topics in Portuguese.
The Street Smart Brazil Approach
- We use a communicative approach to teach you Portuguese in a practical way and to get you functioning in the language as soon as possible.
- We focus on real-life situations to develop your ability to live and do business in Portuguese.
- All of our classes are packed with cultural content to help you achieve language and cultural proficiency.
- We give you Personalized learning to attend to your specific needs and objectives. When you take one-on-one lessons with us, we guarantee that we will customize our program to match your proficiency level and attend to your goals.
Book a 30-minute trial session now to experience our teaching and get your Portuguese going.
There is a limit of 1 Trial Session per person.
Are your instructors native speakers of Brazilian Portuguese?
I don’t like to study or read online. Can I really learn Portuguese via webcam? How does it work?
Yes, absolutely! All of Street Smart Brazil’s language instructors are native speakers of Brazilian Portuguese, born and raised in Brazil. Additionally, our instructors are fluent in English and college educated. They have professional experience in Brazil and abroad, and are trained with the Street Smart Brazil approach to deliver an excellent learning experience. They are also very friendly and passionate about sharing our language and culture. Meet our instructors here.
I am very busy. How often do I need to have classes?
Our webcam lessons are as effective as lessons in person. You meet with your instructor real-time, face to face, in a video-conference. You will be totally engaged with your instructor. We use Skype or Google Hangouts with video. Both are free. You can see and hear your instructor just as if she were sitting across from you. You will receive your class materials ahead of time via email. You can print them or have them on your screen during your lesson. And we use the chat screen as our white board. We invite you to book a trial session
to see for yourself how well it works.
Is Portuguese difficult to learn?
You can take classes whenever you have time to fit them in your schedule. When you choose one-on-one lessons, you can set your pace. With that said, consistency and practice are key to learning and developing fluency. We recommend starting with at least 1 hour per week. Practicing regularly between meetings will speed up the learning process.
If you are getting ready to take the Celpe-Bras exam, how often you take classes will depend on how soon your test is and how advanced your Portuguese is.
Do I have to pay a registration fee?
Learning a language is challenging, but Portuguese is not particularly difficult. The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) of the US Department of State says Portuguese is among the easiest languages to learn, side by side with Spanish. Their scale of difficulty is based on the length of time it typically takes to achieve General Professional Proficiency in speaking and reading. You can learn more about this here
Other articles that share this point of view that Portuguese is a very learnable language:
We encourage you to try for yourself!
No, there is no registration fee and no charge for class materials. You just pay for your lessons.
Do I need to purchase class material and books?
Will I have homework and material to study between sessions?
The quality and variety of class materials that we use cannot be found in any other Portuguese language course. We use our exclusive original content workbook in combination with materials from textbooks, the web, and other resources. There is no additional charge for the materials. We believe that you will learn better by using a variety of learning tools.
With that said, if you are interested in buying a book, we have a review of the best books to learn Portuguese on our website. You will also find a list of additional materials including books, movies, and CDs at our Amazon Store.
Yes, you will always have study materials and homework. The more you practice between sessions, the faster your Portuguese will advance. With that said, we understand that many of our clients are very busy. How much homework you will do between sessions is a personal decision. We are here to help. If you cannot do any homework, your instructor will work with you through the exercises during your sessions. That is perfectly fine too.
What is the difference between Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese from Portugal?
What is your lesson cancellation policy?
There are differences in pronunciation and grammar between Brazilian Portuguese and Continental Portuguese. The main difference is in pronunciation. Imagine a foreigner learning English in the US and then traveling to England or Australia. This person will need to adjust to how the language sounds in the new country. The same is true for Brazilian and European Portuguese.
For additional insight into this issue, we recommend reading the blog posts below. They were written by an American who learned Brazilian Portuguese and then moved to Portugal:
The best way to choose which language you should learn is by considering who you will be communicating with when using the language. If you will be communicating with Brazilians, then Brazilian Portuguese would be the best option.
For one-on-one lessons, you need to inform us of any cancelations or changes in schedule at least 48 hours before your class. This is because last-minute notices do not allow us to fill the time slot saved for you. Please call or send a text message directly to your instructor if you need to cancel or change a class. More advance notice is appreciated. Our business hours are Monday-Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm Pacific.
Lessons canceled without a 48-hour advance notice will be charged. No-shows will be charged.
When you cancel a lesson with 48-hour notice you have a nonrefundable credit for a makeup class. Credits are valid for 45 days from the original date of the cancelled lesson. After 45 days credits will be forfeited. This applies to all payment plans.