You are hereForums / Language / Vocabulary / What exaclty does "tudo bem?" mean?

Forum Inactive

You can search our forum, but it is no longer active. Please post your questions on our Facebook community where you will find colloquial vocabulary, music, events, and news about Brazil.

Sincerely, the Street Smart Brazil team.

What exaclty does "tudo bem?" mean?

12 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 11 min ago. Offline
Prof
Printer-friendly versionSend to friendPDF version

This was a question from a YouTube subscriber:

• What exactly does "Tudo bem" mean?

Tudo = everything, all
Bem = well
Bom = good
Tudo bem? = Everything well?
Tudo bom? = Everything good?
"Tudo bem?" and "tudo bom?" are the situational equivalents to "How are you?" in English. When we meet people, we commonly ay "Oi, tudo bem?"
"Bem" and "Bom" are not always interchangeable. In greetings, you can use one or the other.
Good answers to "Tudo bem?" are:

• "Tudo bem"

or just

• "Tudo"

I hope that helps!

Share this
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

I sometimes say: Tranquil
Because I am Australian and always in the mood for relaxing..

Prof

Muitos brasileiros respondem assim também: "tranquilo" or "tudo tranquilo" :)

User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
admin

Ah yes, "tranquilo".  Not to be confused with "calma".  After seeing movies in Spanish you might want to say "Tranquilo" to calm or quiet someone down in Portuguese, but the correct wording would be "Calma".

Prof

That is such a great point, Carl.
Another thing to keep in mind is the pronunciation of "tranquilo": tran - kwee - lo (and not tran-kee-lo). The strong syllable is the middle one. So you say: tran - KWEE - lo

User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

That is a good point, after spending a weekend in Miami at the latin music conference with about 5000 espanhois and only 2 Brasileiros I can see how easy it is to get mixed up.
And the incorrect pronunciation of  tranquilo seems right until you hear a native speaker say it first... which is what happend to me... took me a few seconds to figure out what he said, but it made sense.

User offline. Last seen 3 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

I'm also having a confusing about such those words: "tudo bem" and "tudo bom" before. Especially I had heard it when I went to Spain to spending my holidays. In there some couples were using pronunciation that word. At that time I had already guessed that its might be some greeting word. After asking with my friends, I have got exactly meaning of that's word. It means greeting as a "How are you? Or everything all right?" This word is simply used to know situation about other with greeting.

User offline. Last seen 3 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

I love Brazil. The Brazillian's cultural are unique and I like the Brazilian people since they are friendly and helpful. I had been to Brazil once back in my teen and now again want to go to Brazil. This time my stay at Brazil is going to be long since I want to complete my mpa degree there. Hope I will be able to learn Brazillian language perfectly like smooth as butter.

Prof

Oi Boycut, seja bem-vindo aos nossos fóruns. I hope you get live in Brazil and get your degree. We can help you learn Portuguese. Street Smart Brazil offers one-on-one lessons over the web. You can learn with us from anywhere.

Até mais.

User offline. Last seen 3 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks , I really appreciate your help and I will be looking forward for your help.:)

User offline. Last seen 3 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

This is really interesting information for me and I have just started my Spanish lessons and I am very much surprised with different words. As I am taking Spanish class since last couple of weeks and I am looking forward to speak spanish very soon in my near future and there are also lot of words in spanish dictionary which has a different pronounciation. "Tudo bem" is like greeting or asking like we do in English "How are you" the meaning is a littele different but the situation is same when you say Tudo bem in spanish.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

Ola! Tude bem!

Eu sou Fabiola and  I really want to speak portuguesse brasilian fluently help me please.

Oi Fabiola, 

Welcome to our webiste. We are glad to have you onboard! We will be glad to help you improve your Portuguese. I'm Renata, and I teach at Street Smart Brazil. 

You will find cultural tips and videos on our pages at Facebook, Youtube and Twitter. On our blog, you will find many interesting news about Brazil and video lessons. 

Feel free to post your questions and we will be glad to answer them!

obrigada!

If you are ready to speak Portuguese, book your 30-minute demo class or email us for more info.